Disclaimer

The ideas expressed in this blog should not be construed as an enticement to buy or sell the securities, commodities or assets mentioned. The accuracy or completeness of the information provided cannot be guaranteed. Readers should carry out independent verification of information provided. No warranty whatsoever is given and no liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss howsoever arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of actions taken based on ideas and information found in this blog.

Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Value Fund Portfolio Report 2022

 1. The year 2022 was worse than 2021. My TWR for 2022 was -6.5% despite my best efforts. My portfolio diversification strategy mitigated the very large losses experienced in the HK and US markets. In general. I did better than most my fellow singapore investors on stockscafe, investingnote and youtube. I suppose I should feel thankful but losses still hurt especially in absolute amounts.  

2. The Value Fund had a mixed performance against the three benchmark indexes. It did worse than ES3 (+7.6%) but beat SPY(-19.1%) and VT(-19.0%). I missed my personal goal of exceeding ES3 by at least 5ppt significantly. :(

3. With a TWR of -6.5%, the absolute loss was -$104K. This was partially cushioned by a dividend haul of $63.4K.

4. In terms of capital injection, I had added siginificantly to the portfolio with my dividends, inheritance windfall(sad) and leverage from wealth lending. Total capital injection into portfolio was $442K for the year.

5. Going forward, I will switch from Total AUM (incl cash holdings) to Total Stock Portfolio (stocks only). This is due to the distortion from inheritance windfall and leverage while my cash cash/SSB/T-bill holdings exceed my leverage by multiple times. For 2022, Total Stock Portfolio reached $1.72M for the reasons described above. 

6. Against my 2021 Financial Goals Scoreboard :

a. Stretch target to reach Total AUM of $1.75M - (Failed). Total Stock Portfolio did not reach target due mainly to severe declines in US and HK markets.

 b. Maintain or exceed CAGR of 10%. (Failed). Some of my SG stocks recovered from the pandemic but this was more than offset by the declines in REITs & key stocks as global interest rates spiked. As the US and HK markets tanked, I failed miserably with a -6.5%. :(

c. Raise dividends to $60K p.a. (Success). Increased investments in SG & HK Banks and REITs lifted dividends significantly to $63.4K.

 d. Create Wealth Lending Account for shares to use leverage and abitrage between investment classes. (Success). I finally got off my lazy bum and also found a good relationship manager that helped educate and setup my wealth lending accounts. By transferring my core SG stocks to bank custody AND connecting it to foreign currencies, I could lever up my portfolio by arbitraging the interest rates across countries. Specifically, I borrowed in JPY(or CHF) with low interest rates, and bought good quality SG company shares. This should boost dividends and returns in the coming years but I have to watch central banks like a hawk.

7. Separately, I continued to practise an Option Strategy to earn kopi money every month by selling Covered Calls and Cash Covered Puts. I got assigned and unassigned a few times but only thrice which was reluctantly. Puts are a good way to accumulate shares for value investors while earning kopi money. However, I can only do this off and on as I trade options only in the US markets (most liquid). Averaged earnings was about USD1K per month.

8. For 2023, I plan to continue to practise my core value based investment strategy (with some leverage) but supplemented with a basic options strategy.

9. Going forward into 2023, my investment goals are:

a. Grow my Stock Portfolio to $1.85M.
b. Raise dividends to $85K per annum. (My 12mth projection is already at 80K and most my buys in 2022 paying out in 2023)
c. Maintain or exceed CAGR of 10%. 
d. Top-up Medisave on 1 Jan 2023. (Exceeded FRS in SA and working towards ERS)
e. Review and Refine Options & Risk Strategy to raise returns to USD2K per month.

10. My current portfolio can be found at https://stocks.cafe/user/profile?username=thevaluefund

No comments:

Post a Comment